Familiarize yourself with the following passage:
Genesis 42-50Joseph is now the second most powerful person in all Egypt. Pharaoh has charged Joseph to take care of Egypt in preparation for and during the famine that was coming. Pharaoh also gave Joseph a wife, from which two sons were born. During the next seven years, there was great prosperity in Egypt. Joseph took a portion of everyone’s harvest and stored it away for the famine to come. When the famine finally started, it was severe. There was no food anywhere in Egypt. Pharaoh told the people to go to Joseph and do what he told them. Joseph began selling people the stored food. Soon the famine became so great that even Joseph’s family in Canaan began to search for food. They heard there was food to be purchased in Egypt. All of Joseph’s brothers, except Benjamin, went to buy food for their families. Jacob would not let Benjamin go for fear that he would lose him, just like Joseph. When the brothers arrived in Egypt, Joseph saw them, but the brothers did not recognize him. Joseph was harsh with them, even accusing them of being spies. To prove their innocence, they were required to leave one brother in jail and return to Egypt with Benjamin. Jacob did not like this. He refused for a long, until at last they had run out of food. Finally, Jacob agreed to send Benjamin. Judah promised to return him safely. When Joseph saw Benjamin, he was overjoyed. Still, he continued to test his older brothers to see if they had truly changed. He sent them on their way with bags full of food, placing a special cup in Benjamin’s bag. After they left, Joseph sent soldiers after the brothers and accused them of stealing. The brother agreed that the one who was found with the cup would become a slave. Benjamin was found with the cup. All the brothers returned to Joseph and begged for mercy. Judah even pleaded to take Benjamin’s place. Seeing the heart of his brothers had changed, Joseph revealed himself to his brothers. They were all amazed. Joseph invited his brother to return to Egypt with their families to live for the rest of time of the famine. Upon their final return, Joseph was reunited with Jacob. And Joseph took care of his family during the famine.
A Heavy BagSupplies Needed:
• A large bag
• Many heavy items, such as rocks or books
1. Select a volunteer. Have the child hold the empty bag.
2. Explain that each heavy item represents an angry or hurt feeling. Have the child walk around the room for a little bit while holding the heavy bag. Explain that when we hold onto anger and hurt, it becomes a heavy burden to us. When we forgive others the burden will be gone and we will feel better. Take the heavy items out and have the child walk around with the empty bag. Talk about how it feels to have the heavy load verses the light load. Encourage the children to forgive people, just like Joseph forgave his brothers.
Genesis 50:20You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.
Jesus Connection:As we continue to read the story of Joseph, we continue to see the connection between the brothers and us, and Joseph and Jesus. Like Joseph’s brother did to him, we have all done some pretty horrible things to Jesus. We continually sin against him. And like Joseph, Jesus has forgiven us of those evil things we have done to him. We intend harm, but God works all things together for the good of those who love him and are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)
Father AbrahamFather Abraham had many sons
Many sons had Father Abraham
I am one of them and so are you
So let’s all praise the Lord
Find the CupSupplies needed:
• A small cup (Dixie cup size)
• 3 identical buckets or large bowls
1. Turn all three buckets upside down on a smooth table.
2. Place the cup under one of the buckets.
3. As fast as you can mix up the order of the buckets.
4. Have a child try to guess which bucket the cup is under.
5. Repeat the game for as many children as you have. You may even allow the children to mix up the order of the buckets to have more involvement.
Royal CupSupplies Needed:
• White paper cups (if you have the budget to do so, get some cheap, plain, white ceramic coffee mugs)
• Decorations (glitter, stickers, gems)
1. Decorate the cup using sharpies.
2. If you are using paper cups, use other decorations, such as glitter and gems to make the cup look more special.
3. If you are using ceramic cups, bake the cup at 250 degree Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Cool completely. Do not put in dishwasher.